The sole representative visa is designed to help an overseas company establish the company and build their reputation in the UK or to register a branch within the UK. The advantage of this category is that the individual is not required to have any particular amount of financial resources, as it is expected that the parent company would provide the all the necessary capital. This visa is one of the easiest ways to emigrate to the UK as the visa is approved without difficulties when the investing mother company is sound, the branch founding is feasible, and the manager to be dispatched is qualified.
- The person to be dispatched should demonstrate that he/she
- is a senior employee who will be employed full time, with full authority to take operational decisions on behalf of the overseas businessHave full authority to take operational decisions on behalf of the business;
- does not hold more than 50% of the shares in the business;
- does not intend to take employment other than for your business.
- is able to maintain and accommodate himself/herself adequately without the need to rely on public funds
The overseas parent company must not have branch, subsidiary or other representative in the UK and the branch or subsidiary in the UK will carry out the same business activities as the overseas business.
Conditions of Stay
- Under the Sole Representative of an Overseas Business route, sole rep is allowed to bring the following family members with them:
spouse or partner; any children under 18; children of any age if they are a dependant.
Dependants can apply either with the main applicant or independently by themselves.
Children below 18 years of age may enjoy the merit of being admitted to a public school when the visa is issued.
Dependants of a sole representative may be able to apply fo settlement (indefinite leave to remain / ILR) at the same time as the main applicant as a Dependent of the sole representative visa holder.
Length of Stay
- An initial visa lasts for a total of 3 years.
Holders of the sole representative visa may apply to extend their stay in the UK for a further 2 years provided they meet the necessary criteria.
Upon reaching five years in the UK as a sole representative , the applicant may then be eligible for permanent residence, or Indefinite Leave in the UK.
Applicants can then apply to naturalise in the UK as a British citizen after 12 months on permanent residence.