The Tier 1 Investor Visa was introduced to attract high-net-worth migrants from non-EEA countries and let them create more jobs while promoting the UK economy through investment in the UK economy.
The investor needs to invest £2 million or more in a UK company or invest indirectly in bonds of UK government agencies or affiliated organizations. He/she may apply for residency when a 2-year, 3-year, or 5-year stay is approved depending on the amount of investment funds.
- You may invest in share capital or loan capital for a certain UK company.
The company must be registered with Companies House, have at least two employees, and actually engage in profit-making activities.
The investment amount must be at least £2 million, and there is no maximum limit.
- Since a large amount of investment is required, the applicant is not required to show business experience, age or the ability to speak English.
You must have more than £2 million in funds to invest in the UK in your name or spouse's name.
If your investment was held for less than two years, you must prove the source of your funds.
What is notable is that you need to submit a confirmation letter showing that your account was opened for an investment purpose at a bank registered with the Financial Conduct Authority and that the source of funds (non-money laundering fund) is clear.
- As the merits of the UK investor visa, the application is processed more speedily than other countries, and the procedure is less complicated.
The investment immigration procedure may be divided into three steps.
First, you need to review the business plans in order to select businesses or asset management companies to invest in.
Then, you need to prepare a draft investment contract based on investment terms consulted on through due diligence of the target business or company following their evaluation.
You apply for the visa by proving your possession of the investment funds to invest in the relevant company or purchase government bonds after entering the UK.
Conditions of Stay
- Investors can also spend 180 days outside of the UK without impacting on their right to residency.
There is no quota limit.
Holders of the Tier 1 investor visa are allowed to bring the following family members with them:
spouse or partner; any children under 18; children of any age if they are a dependant.
Dependants of Tier 1 Investor Migrant may be able to apply fo settlement (indefinite leave to remain / ILR) at the same time as the main applicant as a Dependent of a Tier 1 Investor migrant.
Length of Stay
- A three-year, four-month (or three years) valid visa is issued for the initial application.
Residency may be obtained after staying for two or three or five years from entry (or visa approval) depending on the investment amount.
The visa holder may apply for citizenship when one year elapses after the residency permit is obtained.
Requirements for Visa Extension or Residency
- Various requirements should be satisfied to extend the visa or obtain residency.
The common key requirement is to prove that the investment has been made within three months of the visa approval.